especially Hraban, who had asked for sth like this,
I had tried sending this yesterday, but with the pdf output included,
it was too big for the list.
In any case, please find enclosed a tentative lilypond inclusion file
and a sample
file. The whole thing basically works (though support for non-pdf
versions is currently absent, but should be relatively easy to
implement), but I'm sure I've taken a non-ConTeXt-way at more than one
place and I have a few problems, most of them lilypond-related. The
first three are strictly ConTeXt-related, though:
- I can't include blank lines in \startlilypond...\stoplilypond,
because in the buffer I will get a \par for that. There is
probably some easy way around this, but I haven't found the
- Currently, the whole generation only works with shell_escape=t.
Is there a way to use the automp mechanism for other external
programs, such as lilypond, as well? It would also save quite
some time to only typeset each piece of music only once.
- How can I detect whether a pdf file contains multiple pages?
- I have only tested the system on my Tiger installation.
I'd like to know if it works for others, too.
- When typesetting a longer block, I'd like to tell lilypond
how much space there is left on the first page, to have music
break across pages smoothly with the text.
- When typesetting a fragment, I'd like to somehow get a proper
baseline from lilypond. I have neither found out how to ask
if there is more than one line typeset, nor for the baseline
(let's say the bottom line of the staff), which obviously depends
on the music actually set. The sample file uses an explicit
\lower command with a trial-&-error value. I assume that
the lilypond TeX backend gives me something that could be
useful here, but I haven't analyzed it in detail.