[NTG-pdftex] segfault with \pdfadjustinterwordglue

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Sun May 31 04:32:55 CEST 2020

Hi,

Please find the attached patches (for pdftex r828 and tl svn)

* Globally initialize save_tail:=null, to ensure that
  it is never referenced before initialized.
  I cannot make any tests to exhibit the uninitialized save_tail
  problem, but this change would make it safer.

  Note: (pdf)tex.web sets
>   @d null==min_halfword
  and
>   @d min_halfword==0
  In this case, uninitialized save_tail (= 0) accidentally
  equals to null.  However, after tex.ch changes
>   @d min_halfword==-@"FFFFFFF
  In this case, uninitialized save_tail (= 0) is not null
  so the test inside adjust_interword_glue() will not work.
>      else if (type(p) = kern_node) and
>              (subtype(p) = auto_kern) and
>              (save_tail <> null) then

* Remove no-op (r<>null) checks; already explained in
  my previous mail.

The save_tail outside the current list, reported by Hironori,
still remains but it should be regarded as another issue.
I think my patches are enough to solve the segfault issue
which should be corrected asap.

Best,
Hironobu