[NTG-pdftex] Incomplete CharSet causes failure with PDF/A validation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jan 25 23:20:25 CET 2019

      [ https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2018-June/004251.html ]

    Can anyone tell me how this issue has been resolved, if at all ?

I removed the inclusion of /CharSet in the output in the pdftex source
(back in July).  We did not compile new TL binaries with that change. As
things stand, it will be included in TL19.  I imagine Christian has
compiled new MiKTeX binaries since then. Hence the difference in behavior.

    has provided that produces a  œôòümissing CharSetœôòý error when validated
    with Adobeœôòùs Preflight for PDF/A-1b.

That "error" from preflight contradicts the previous information, which
was that CharSet was optional, but had to be completely correct if it
was included. There is no way to make it completely correct (precomposed
accent agony, etc.). Therefore the idea was to omit it. -k