[NTG-pdftex] Incomplete CharSet causes failure with PDF/A validation

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Jan 25 11:08:50 CET 2019

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how this issue has been resolved, if at all ?

On 2018-07-07 at 11:05:49 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 7/7/2018 2:31 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>> According to the PDF Reference[1], /CharSet is optional and
>> meaningful only in Type 1 fonts. Thus no program can rely on it.
>> If no program can rely on it and it causes trouble, it should
>> better be removed without substitution (no command line option and
>> no new primitive).
>>
>>> I suppose that luatex developers are listening here as well.

> anyway, it's no big deal to add an option (omitcharset) for it as
> we also do it for cidsets (omitcidset)

I see no new options with   man pdftex  or  pdftex --help  .

Sounds good. Please proceed.

The reason I’m asking is that I have an example file that someone else
has provided that produces a  “missing CharSet” error when validated
with Adobe’s Preflight for PDF/A-1b.

It was built with:

    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (MiKTeX 2.9.6930 64-bit) (preloaded format=pdflatex 2019.1.11)  23 JAN 2019 16:46

but there is no error when I build the analogous PDF with:

    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018) (preloaded format=pdflatex 2018.12.24)  25 JAN 2019 17:16

The attached image shows that the CharSet is included on a Mac, using MacTeX,
but not with MikTeX, even though the version of pdfTeX seems to be identical.

[cid:761CF147-059F-4934-96BB-747FFD2CEA18 at telstra.com.au]

The only explanation that I can think of is that a primitive or option is being used
in one case, but not the other.
Can someone please shed some light on what may be causing this difference?

Could it really be connected with the LaTeX format version?
For me,   tlmgr update --list
doesn’t list anything needing an update that is obviously relevant.

Regards,
Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de

All the best,

Ross

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:ross.moore at mq.edu.au>
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>
<http://mq.edu.au/>