[NTG-pdftex] \expanded

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Thu May 17 10:11:54 CEST 2018

On 16/05/2018 23:57, Karl Berry wrote:
> Doing a grep on /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/, I see \expanded
> is used in a couple oberdiek packages, context, and mathspec. I did not
> try to figure out if the mathspec usage is compatible. It might be worth
> notifying its author at some point as a courtesy. FWIW ...

[Resending keeping all recipients, and extending a little]

Hi Karl,

\expanded is a suggestion Heiko made initially, and the code in his
packages is looking for it and warning if it's not available (which
means in anything other than LuaTeX at present). His code should be fine
I think: it works with LuaTeX already.

mathspec is I think using \expanded only for convenience: the stuff it's
doing isn't expandable and # tokens are unlikely to be an issue.  So it
should be unaffected by the change here: the new primitive definition
will in the use case in mathspec act exactly as the current
\providecommand-defined version. If necessary a request can go in for
that one case to be altered: the team are experienced at supporting such
adjustments in the development of expl3, for example. I see that Will
did the last update of mathspec, so there is likely a route to address
any issue (as I say, I don't expect there to be one).

I see Hans has replied re. ConTeXt: only MkII would be affected in any
case (LuaTeX has \expanded, though it's not widely used I think. But the
same type of expansion is seen in \directlua ...)

Joseph