[NTG-pdftex] \expanded

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu May 17 08:54:52 CEST 2018

On 5/17/2018 12:57 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Doing a grep on /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/, I see \expanded
> is used in a couple oberdiek packages, context, and mathspec. I did not
> try to figure out if the mathspec usage is compatible. It might be worth
> notifying its author at some point as a courtesy. FWIW ...

context always had \expanded, \unexpanded and \protected macros so when
etex showed up we could not use the primitives as such; this is why we
use \normal* when needed (in fact context had the \unexpanded prefix for
macro definitions that behaved like \protected in etex which makes it
even more confusing) .. in practice it has never been a problem because
there is not much code shared with other macro packages so users don't
run into it .. so no need to worry