[NTG-pdftex] \expanded

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon May 14 18:40:34 CEST 2018

On 5/14/2018 5:54 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 14/05/2018 16:49, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 5/13/2018 11:33 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>>> Hi Joseph, David, and all - thanks for your hard work on this. I don't
>>> foresee a problem. I'll merge this into the pdftex and TL repos as soon
>>> as I have a chance, and confirm/get back with any questions. --karl.
>> I searched old mails and found an answer from Wolfgang (around 2011)
>> to another context dev about the \expanded primitive (we had a macro
>> \expanded already) not working in mkii mentioning that \expanded was
>> in pdftex 1.50 on our machines but that the binary was not yet
>> released ... it must have been in the pdftex-being-unmaintained days
>> as on my machine pdftex now seems to be 1.40.18
>
> The suggestion goes back a long way:
> http://www.tug.org/svn/pdftex/trunk/source/src/texk/web2c/pdftexdir/pdftex.web?r1=306&r2=312,
> at least.

I could find this for luatex beta 0.30 (20080930):

* the \expanded primitive is backported from pdftex 1.50 (#43)

>> Anyway, it seem to have been added to pdftex too when (or after) we
>> added it to LuaTeX (where it was already) but somehow that never made
>> into mainstream pdftex. It makes me wonder if more got lost. We'll
>> never know I guess. Maybe you should also bump the pdftex version
>> number now.
>
> Probably various things: moves of the source repo and (more importantly)
> issue tracker make it hard to be sure.
>
> I'd wondered about the pdfTeX version number, but I'm not sure what was
> meant to be in v1.50 (I'm guessing a lot more than one
> marginally-interesting primitive).
I'd probably lost interest in it around that time so I never kept track,
but anyway, 1.50 seems to have been a real version. So given the date
we're a decade along the road. (I don't think that 1.50 had more
substantial stuff added simply because it was already more or less in
maintainance mode.)