[NTG-pdftex] \expanded

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Mon May 14 17:54:41 CEST 2018

On 14/05/2018 16:49, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/13/2018 11:33 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>> Hi Joseph, David, and all - thanks for your hard work on this. I don't
>> foresee a problem. I'll merge this into the pdftex and TL repos as soon
>> as I have a chance, and confirm/get back with any questions. --karl.
> I searched old mails and found an answer from Wolfgang (around 2011) to
> another context dev about the \expanded primitive (we had a macro
> \expanded already) not working in mkii mentioning that \expanded was in
> pdftex 1.50 on our machines but that the binary was not yet released ...
> it must have been in the pdftex-being-unmaintained days as on my machine
> pdftex now seems to be 1.40.18

The suggestion goes back a long way:
http://www.tug.org/svn/pdftex/trunk/source/src/texk/web2c/pdftexdir/pdftex.web?r1=306&r2=312,
at least.

> Anyway, it seem to have been added to pdftex too when (or after) we
> added it to LuaTeX (where it was already) but somehow that never made
> into mainstream pdftex. It makes me wonder if more got lost. We'll never
> know I guess. Maybe you should also bump the pdftex version number now.

Probably various things: moves of the source repo and (more importantly)
issue tracker make it hard to be sure.

I'd wondered about the pdfTeX version number, but I'm not sure what was
meant to be in v1.50 (I'm guessing a lot more than one
marginally-interesting primitive).

Joseph