[NTG-pdftex] Time for Type3 bitmap fonts to cause a warning?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 29 02:35:49 CEST 2017

On 2017-03-28 at 12:50:10 +0100, Markus Kuhn wrote:

 > Suggestion: it would be useful to actively discourage in
 > pdftex the use of Type3 fonts.
 >
 > This could be done in steps, e.g.:
 >
 > - initially just output a warning that prominently
 >    lists any Type3 fonts used in the PDF produced
 >    (plus add an "I know what I do and really want Type3"
 >    command-line override option to suppress that warning)
 >
 > - later turn that warning into an error, such that Type3
 >    fonts can now only be included into PDFs using the
 >    "I know what I do and really want Type3" command-line
 >    option, to make sure they only appear in PDFs as a
 >    deliberate choice by an experienced author.
 >
 > [The idea is similar to how HTTPS browsers like Chrome or
 > Firefox gradually added warnings to phase out outdated
 > cryptography.]

Dear Markus,
I understand your point.  But nowadays TeX Live is configured to use
outline fonts by default.  If people use bitmap fonts they do it
either deliberately (and a warning or error message isn't helpful) or
something else went wrong.

In the latter case more explanation is needed because presumably many
users don't know how to proceed.

What I can imagine is that whenever a bitmap font is used, a message
is issued which points users to a file which provides more
information (accessible with texdoc).

BTW, the problem we're talking about affects other engines as well.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de