[NTG-pdftex] Using CFF (Type 1C) instead of Type 1 fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 19 23:29:07 CET 2017

FWIW, I have nothing against CFF support in pdftex, but it's not
something I can take on implementing myself.

As for getting official CFF versions of the CM fonts, you'd have to talk
to the AMS about that. I am doubtful it is something they would want to
spend company time on, but maybe they would give their blessing for some
other competent person to produce a CFF version. Maybe just running the
fonts through fontforge is enough; I don't know.

Although of course anyone can make CFF versions without anyone else's
permission, I would be loath to change the CM fonts (in TeX Live) used
in most TeX-produced documents without agreement by the AMS.

--best, karl.