[NTG-pdftex] Using CFF (Type 1C) instead of Type 1 fonts

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 16:51:50 CET 2017

On 19/12/17 15:15, Hans Hagen wrote:> On 12/19/2017 12:56 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>> Markus, I'm glad that you asked.  I'm convinced that Type 1 fonts
>> can be converted to CFF on the fly reliably and that many people
>> enjoy the smaller PDF files.  I don't see any technical
>> restrictions.  We just need volunteers.
>
> Honestly, I don't care about an already large pdf being a few hundred
> k larger ... not in these days of 100 MB flac and 2 GB mp4 files, not
> to speak of crappy pictures being megapixels. On my machine the pdf's
> are not the large files.

I maintain archives of thousands of PDFs (departmental technical reports,
student project dissertations, PhD theses, etc.). Many of these files
contain exactly the same font information, and for many of these documents,
the embedded Type 1 fonts dominate the file size. Not exactly elegant.

Another point in favour of CFF is that Adobe donated in 2013 to the
FreeType project their high-quality Adobe CFF Engine hinter. That
only parses the CFF format, not Type 1. Therefore, you may get today on
many platforms (Android phones, tables, etc. all seem to use FreeType)
better hinting if the fonts are CFF encoded, rather than Type 1.

https://blog.typekit.com/2013/06/19/adobe-cff-font-rasterizer-accepted-by-freetype/
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2013/06/youve-got-cff.html
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2013/05/got-cff.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/files/freetype2/2.4.12/

I guess, the first step towards encouraging better Type 1C
font support in the TeX ecosystem would be to get CFF/Type 1C
versions of e.g. the BaKoMa font files onto CTAN.

(I'd prefer the font files to be distributed and loaded in CFF,
rather than having them converted on the fly from an anachronistic and
uselessly encrypted format each time. In other words: best eradicate
Type 1 at the start of the processing pipeline.)

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ || CB3 0FD, Great Britain