[NTG-pdftex] Using CFF (Type 1C) instead of Type 1 fonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Dec 19 16:13:25 CET 2017

On 12/19/2017 12:56 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> I don't think that pdftex replaces glyphs.  That would require that
> pdftex understands CFF.  I assume that pdftex first determines whether
> a font with the same name exists within the TEXMF tree.  If true, it
> drops the embedded font and creates a common subset of the glyphs used
> in the embedded file and the main document.  But the actual glyphs
> come from the font found in the TEXMF tree.
replacing/merging glyphs is tricky ... i remember seeing bugged
presentations due to this fact (irr very old pdftex was able to do such
things) for instance because lucida fonts were merged where the names
were the same but the glyphs actually not (it all depends on where the
embedded files come from) .. so, a merge would also involve checkign if
the font programs (subrs for glyphs etc) are the same