[NTG-pdftex] pdftex - Duplicated codes ligatures inglyphtounicode.tex

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 01:57:02 CEST 2016

On Sunday 26 June 2016 01:08:32 Ross Moore wrote:
> It is not
> clear to me that the change is desirable, because the "decomposition"
> into two f characters is what is actually desired for searches, etc.
> If you can convince Eddie, fine; it's up to him.  A practical usage
> case is probably needed for that.  The current entries have been
> around a long, long, time and should not be changed merely to
> "follow" Unicode.
>
> Agreed.
> I was looking at this kind of thing more than 10 years ago, and very
> few fonts supported the ligatures. So copy/paste would result in
> missing characters.

Or maybe after 10 years is time for change? :-)

> You do *not* want to use  \pdfglyphtounicode  with glyph names
> that clash with those that are otherwise loaded automatically,
> else you could be killing the correct mapping for other fonts.

Today when I read & patch pdftex source code (see my another email in
pdftex at tug with subject "Encoding for metafont PK fonts") I found out
that tounicode.c understand \pdfglyphtounicode mapping per TFM file in
format "tfm:%s/%s".

So I can use \pdfglyphtounicode mapping which only apply for specific
font, not for all fonts.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com