[NTG-pdftex] pdftex - Duplicated codes ligatures inglyphtounicode.tex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 26 00:34:51 CEST 2016

    Sorry I forgot to look into /branches/stable/ which is *real* pdftex

1) Yes, although glyphtounicode.tex even in branches/stable is not up to
date.  I will remove it, or update it, when I have a chance.

2) The current glyphtounicode.tex is in TeX Live (v 2.95, as Akira said).

3) glyphtounicode.tex is no longer maintained in pdftex (or in TeX Live).
It is maintained by Eddie Kohler.  Please write him, not here.

4) For the ligatures, I can't remember for sure, but I suspect that the
entries predate the existence of the ligatures in Unicode.  It is not
clear to me that the change is desirable, because the "decomposition"
into two f characters is what is actually desired for searches, etc.
If you can convince Eddie, fine; it's up to him.  A practical usage
case is probably needed for that.  The current entries have been around
a long, long, time and should not be changed merely to "follow" Unicode.

5) Regarding your previous message about Delta(greek).
glyphtounicode.tex generally follows Adobe's original glyphlist.txt
  http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/opentype/glyphlist.txt
which has the same Delta + Deltagreek definitions.  Which are more
useful in practice.  I can't imagine there will or should be any changes
there.

5b) I note that glyphlist.txt does have the FB0* for the f-ligatures.
I don't know if we intentionally diverged from that for TeX.

6) If you want to make changes for your own purposes, you can just make
your own version of the file.

Hope this helps,
Karl