[NTG-pdftex] Incomplete CharSet causes failure with PDF/A validation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jun 12 11:23:46 CEST 2016

On 6/11/2016 2:15 AM, Ross Moore wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> On Jun 11, 2016, at 8:57 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org
>> <mailto:karl at freefriends.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ross - I don't have the DavidCLM-Medium font, and had never heard of
>> the culmus package; I see now it is a pretty big effort on sf.
>>
>> At any rate, I (or Thanh or whomever) need an example demonstrating the
>> failure that can be run.  Maybe you can make a self-contained set of
>> files (the font(s) in needed formats, the tex source, etc.)?
>>
>> Or: it doesn't matter if there is a workaround for it, as long as it
>> shows the failure.  So if you have an example that uses fonts already in
>> TL, so much the better.
>
> Certainly.
> The   texlive-de.tex   documentation uses a font that is affected this way.
>
> Attached is a cut-down example source,    test-berafont.tex
> with PDFs:   test-berafont-pdftex.pdf    — PDF/A using  pdfTeX
> and              test-berafont-gs.pdf     — plain PDF using dvips+GS
>
> You can see the difference in the attached PDFs:
>
> SCI:TL-DE16 ross$ grep -a CharSet test-berafont-gs.pdf
> /CharSet(/A/E/L/T/V/X/a/aacute/acute/e/g/i/l/n/o/one/r/s/six/t/two/u/v/z/zero)/FontFile3
> 12 0 R>>
> SCI:TL-DE16 ross$ mv test-berafont.pdf test-berafont-pdftex.pdf
> SCI:TL-DE16 ross$ grep -a CharSet test-berafont-pdftex.pdf
> /CharSet (/A/E/L/T/V/X/aacute/e/g/i/l/n/o/one/r/s/six/t/two/u/v/z/zero)
>
> where pdfTeX just puts  /aacute   GS includes  /a/aacute/acute .

so what does acrobat distiller do ... maybe the font assembles the
aacute glyph from two (using subroutines) and gs sees that as a reason
to also add those glyphs (if i remember right pdftex tries to merge
these things subr thingies in order to make smaller files) .. or does
the ps file have a reference to the acute?

if so, then this is imo a harmless difference and one cannot expect all
postprocessors to behave the same