[NTG-pdftex] Validation problem with PDF files produced by pdftex

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 9 08:37:38 CEST 2016

Le 22/03/16 à 15h54, Denis Bitouzé a écrit :

> Le 22/03/16 à 00h51, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :
>
>> A couple months ago (sad but true), Fabrice passed on
>> (https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2016-January/004066.html)
>> the report from Denis
>> (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.text.pdf/ZnobgbiiDZ4)
>> that pdftex creates pdfs with "No document catalog dictionary"
>> and this fails jhove validation.
>>
>> But then, running the pdf through
>>   pdftk these.pdf output valid-these.pdf
>> makes it pass.
>>
>> More details and a test document apparently at
>>   http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/79947
>> Except that report implies that maybe this is about the EOL silliness
>> that was fixed a couple years ago?
>>
>> So, Denis, can you confirm that pdftex from TL'15 still does not
>> generate good pdfs for you?  (I imagine you are using the latest pdftex,
>> but just in case ...)
>
> As you've seen, the trouble seems to come more from JHOVE than LaTeX
> but:
>
> - nevertheless, it turns out that all the files I tested with the
>   current TL 2015 which are considered as invalid from JHOVE point of
>   view become valid as soon as `\pdfobjcompresslevel 0' is added before
>   `\documentclass',
> - I'm interested in testing the new primitives described by Akira. So
>   I ran:
>   - `rsync -a --delete --exclude=.svn tug.org::tldevsrc ~/texlive-svn/'
>   - `~/texlive-svn/Master/bin/i386-linux/pdflatex file' for a file
>     containing `\pdfsuppressptexinfo 0' before `\documentclass' but this
>     failed with:
>     ┌────
>     │ ! Undefined control sequence.
>     │ l.2 \pdfsuppressptexinfo
>     │                      0
>     └────
>   What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the delay.

AFAICS with TL 2016, for passing successfully the JHOVE's validation
test:

- `\pdfobjcompresslevel 0' is necessary and sufficient,
- `\pdfsuppressptexinfo 0' is harmless but hasn't any effect, which
  means that if it is inserted at the very beginning of the `.tex' file:
  - without `\pdfobjcompresslevel 0', the test fails,
  - with `\pdfobjcompresslevel 0', the test doesn't fail.

All the best.
--
Denis