[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Bugs][4332] pdflatex enters endless loop on malformed align-environment in nonstopmode

pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org
Fri Mar 18 14:28:40 CET 2011

Bugs item #4332, was opened at 2011-03-18 13:28
Category: Build process
Group: v1.40.1
Resolution: None

Initial Comment:
On compiling the attached minimal example containing a malformed "align" environment, pdftex seems to enter an endless loop (does not terminate and 100% CPU load) if invoked as

pdftex \nonstopmode \input{test.tex}

which is how rubber seems to invoke pdftex. If run without nonstopmode, compilation immediately stops at an error prompt (as expected).

I do not know if this is an error with the amsmath-package defining the align-environment, but as it looks a little similar to bug #909 ( http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=909&group_id=106 ) I hope that it does fit here. I do not have another LaTeX compiler to test with.

Further detail:
[mikerofone at ente ~/Desktop]$ pdflatex --version
pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.11-2.2 (TeX Live 2010/Arch Linux)
kpathsea version 6.0.0
Copyright 2010 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.4.5; using libpng 1.4.5
Compiled with zlib 1.2.5; using zlib 1.2.5
Compiled with poppler version 0.16.2