[NTG-pdftex] About SyncTeX and output-directory option

Jerome Laurens Jerome.Laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Sat Jan 23 14:20:11 CET 2010

Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel at gmx.de> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Jérome Laurens wrote:
>
>> As noticed by Martin, since TeXLive 09 the .synctex file is always
>> created in the same directory as the pdf output. This is the only way
>> to tell a pdf viewer that there exists some synctex information
>> around.
>
> but it must be a special viewer knowing about synctex. Couldn't one then
> put the required path info into the PDF file, e. g., as some special
> comment, or even as /PTEX_SYNCTEX_PATH key into the info dir or catalog?

Yes, my comment was a bit short.
In fact, SyncTeX also works with dvi such that some equivalent to
/PTEX_SYNCTEX_PATH should be defined for dvi and xdv files.
Moreover, all the dvi2pdf and xdv2pdf tools should also support this
kind of enhancement. It would be perfectly possible but this is not
really something I'd like to do myself.

>> In short, my suggestion would be to somehow hard code "Factory" (or
>> any appropriate name) as output directory name.
>
> i guess this would make the overall system rather inflexible.

Not really. This is just a matter of convention:
if someone wants to use the pdftex output directory option and
does not really know what name to choose, he can simply use "Factory".
That would make life easier when sharing documents as folders.
And that would give a better UI experience for newcomers or beginners.
Anyway, that is out of topic on this list.

Cordialement,

Jerome