[NTG-pdftex] processing speed

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat May 30 00:42:40 CEST 2009

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Actually, my problem has nothing to do with file names.  My Perl
> script produces one big LaTeX file (30 MB) and after the preamble,
> \input isn't used at all.

my impression is that your problem relates to pdf memory as well as
literals accumulating (and temp taking mem)

> Maybe PGF creates a lot of control sequences at runtime, using \csname
> and \endcsname in macros.  This would increase the control sequence
> hash and then it takes more time to find a particular macro.

neglectable, and not increasing during the run i guess

> With pgfplots the problem is more obvious: I started pdftex in the
> late morning.  When I later looked into the log file I noticed that it
> already created more than 700 pages.  Thus, I assumed that I get a
> result after the lunch break.  But it finished in the evening, two
> minutes before I had to shut down the computer, otherwise I had missed
> the train to Hannover.

did you test with luatex? when we ran into large mem consumption when
playing with punk fonts (using litarals etc etc) some improvements were
made to the literal handling (no longer via pool) which saves mem and is
faster too (we can into tricky boundary conditions too then)