[NTG-pdftex] processing speed

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat May 30 00:13:40 CEST 2009

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

 > Does the string pool contain the hash for control sequences?  This
 > would explain the behavior.  From texmf.cnf:
 >
 > % Max number of characters in all strings, including all error messages,
 > % help texts, font names, control sequences.  These values apply to TeX and MP.
 > pool_size = 1250000
 >
 > Maybe PGF creates a lot of control sequences at runtime, using \csname
 > and \endcsname in macros.  This would increase the control sequence
 > hash and then it takes more time to find a particular macro.
 >
 > But if they are created dynamically at runtime, they are created
 > within a group (\begin{tikzpicture}...\end{tikzpicture}) and I expect
 > that everything created within a paricular group is removed from the
 > hash after \endgroup.

I no longer remember if that is the case, but DEK's
words that I cited earlier were extracted from a much
longer message which I now repeat /verbatim/ below;
it certainly makes references to the impact of control
sequences on the string pool.

** Phil.
--------