[NTG-pdftex] processing speed

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jul 2 23:14:25 CEST 2009

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2 July 2009 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>  > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>  >
>  > >   3. the string pool is growing.
>  >
>  > this is because filenames are added to the string pool and not freed;
>  > so, the more files, the larger the pool gets; i though that etex kind of
>  > fixed this but it might fail when strings are added before it can
>  > reclaim the space taken by the filename
>
> Hi Hans,
> there might be a problem with file names but please try:
>
>    http://tug.org/~kotucha/testpgfplots.tex.gz
>
> It demonstrates the problem but doesn't \input any file.

i tried but the pgf in my texlive tree is too old (\if related messages
in the log) and i can't update right now

in order to solve this problem we need to know what happens at the tex
end which boils down to stripping the the smallest failing example

maybe a tracingall will give you a clue (lots of literals or lost of
long csnames or so)

unless i have a plain example that also shows it in context i fear i
cannot be of much help