[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Support Requests][934] "Too many open files" pdflatex error message

pdftex-supportrequests at sarovar.org pdftex-supportrequests at sarovar.org
Thu Feb 19 09:26:35 CET 2009

Support Requests item #934, was opened at 2008-03-19 10:51
Category: None
Group: None
Resolution: None

Initial Comment:
Hi!

I am experiencing problems with pdftex on Mac OSX 10.4. Running my file on osx in draft mode using

\documentclass[draft]{book}

produces the following error message

pdflatex: appendixb/checkint/i103_recanomaly_99_01_l2.pdf: Too many open files

Running the program without the draft option works normally. So I tried

\documentclass[draft]{book}
\usepackage[draft]{pdfdraftcopy}

but the error persists.

The same file can be compiled in draft mode without problems on my linux 64-bit box using an older version of pdftex. Is there a platform dependent maximum file number that can be included?

The versions of pdflatex I am using

OSX: pdflatex -v

pdfTeX 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.15; using libpng 1.2.15
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3; using zlib 1.2.3
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01

Linux: pdflatex -v

pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea version 3.5.4
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
Primary author of pdfeTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

I downloaded the latest pdftex version, compiled but the make compile does not create a pdflatex only a pdftex, which I was not able to use. Am I making an error or do I have to update my latex distribution?

Any suggestions or work-arounds highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Tim!

Date: 2009-02-19 08:26

Message:
it looks similar to this problem:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=498&group_id=106

Can you please provide some test file to reproduce the problem.