[NTG-pdftex] [Dev-luatex] \primitive\pdfoutput cannot be queried

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 15 21:13:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:02:42PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> >
> >If the next token is not a primitive, then it vanishes:
>
> Behaviour in that case is undefined at the moment. Perhaps I should just
> generate an error if the next token is not a primitive?

Yes, IMHO error message and ignoring itself (\pdfprimitive,
not the next token) as error recovery.

First I was unsure in the case of a command token. But if someone
uses \pdfprimitive\foobar, then his intention would be that
\foobar is a primitive of the engine. Otherwise \pdfprimitive
doesn't documentate or specify a useful behaviour.
Therefore the error message makes clear that his assumption
was wrong and he gets the error message at an earlier stage.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>