[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Feature Requests][662] avoid creating "fixed destination"

pdftex-featurerequests at sarovar.org pdftex-featurerequests at sarovar.org
Wed Mar 26 09:40:03 CET 2008

>Resolution: Rejected
Group: v1.50
Category: None

Initial Comment:
When referencing a non-existing destination, you get
this warning:

! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{<something>} has been
referenced but
  does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

I always like the warning about non-existing
destinations, but sometimes  I'd prefer pdfTeX not to
take action besides issuing a warning-message/I'd
prefer pdfTeX not to create a "fixed" destination.
E.g., when creating several separate pdf-files with
pdfTeX (for later merging them together by means of
external software like "pdftk" or "pdfcat") whereby
the named destination is not known/available when
compiling file A but is available/provided in file B
so that in the result from merging these files,
everything will be fine.

Does it make sense/is it possible to implement some
mechanism for forking if creation of fixed destination
shall be avoided or not?
(Either a new token/primitive similar to \globaldefs
which can be used within TeX source or some command-
line-option which can be specified at the command-line
when running pdfTeX ?)

Sincerely

Ulrich

Comment By: Ulrich Diez (ulrichdiez)
Date: 2008-03-25 11:24

Message:
This feature-request of mine is obsolete.

By using \pdfliteral and \special you can easily
create links to non-existing destinations which will
not get replaced by "a fixed one" so that after pdf-concatenation links will work.

I apologize for having send this feature-request.