[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 12 11:10:18 CET 2008

LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
> Le 12 févr. 08 à 09:26, Hans Hagen a écrit :
>
>> LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
>>
>>> \tracesynctexpositions=0:disabled
>>> \tracesynctexpositions=1:math, kern, glue, hbox
>>> \tracesynctexpositions=2:add noads
>>> \tracesynctexpositions=3:add some whatsits
>> so, variant 2 and 3 are influencing the node lists (I assume that
>> this does not influence the outout i.e. no inhibiting of the
>> \last... primitives etc (sometimes whatsits can get in the way)
>
> Actually, absolutely no new node is created, unlike srcltx, src-
> specials and pdfsync
> This is why there won't be compatibility problems with already
> existing macros.

ok, so 2 is not 'add noad's (which are nodes -) but 'add info to more
nodes'

>> (btw, i then assume that there is also an implicit position
>> insertion possible, like \injectsuchapositionhere or so)
>
> not yet.

maybe it makes sense to add such a primitive

> The idea would be something like
> \marksynctexposition{blah}
> or
> \synctexcomment{blah}
> where blah is something related to the content, but I do not know yet
> how it should be designed

hm, adding labels would add more info to the log file (which you want to
keep small)

> With synctex, you are absolutely sure that no new node has been created.
> This is what makes the difference with srcltx, src specials and pdfsync
> and this is what ensures that other packages won't break.

ok, good

> I guess the size of the node is not something publicly available in
> luatex,
> otherwise there might be problems when changing the node size in the
> core of the engine.

luatex has reimplemented nodes completely so any sync feature in there
would work differently: i.e. extra fields in each node, accessible as
such (from lua) and even manipulateable; the file location aspect is
even a bit more tricky because one can overload the file handler and as
such positional information that tracks back to the source also needs to
carry (probably indirect) information about that (for instance: input
can come from zip files, or input sequences can be transformed into
other sequences); in that respect the writing of tracking info to a file
may depends on what the macro package does with the input handling (of
course this can be hidden from users by appropriate functions)

but there is no need to worry about that now (after all, this is the
pdftex dev list)