[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 11 19:47:08 CET 2008

LAURENS Jérôme wrote:

> Couldn't we adopt an intermediate position?
>
> \tracesynctexpositions

i see no reason for 'tex' in the name, after all, we are running tex;
also, nowadays there is no need to have short names (many new primitives
have verbose names)

> where you consider synctex as a whole word, just like mutex, cortex,
> vortex, vertex and of course latex
> In fact, due to performance reasons, only approximate output positions
> are traced,
> the output position unit is tex sp, but the synctex position unit is
> 8192 sp.
> I would expect a \traceoutputpositions to really report the output
> position, not just something approximate.

well, i'm more thinking along the line ...

\traceoutputpositions = 0 : disabled
\traceoutputpositions = 1 : low resolution
\traceoutputpositions = 2 : medium resolution (8192 resolution)
\traceoutputpositions = 3 : high resolution

although position are always approximations (take for instance complex
ligatures orgenerated code) i wonder if we should divert from the full
sp resolution; i'd say: output the full number (no devision) and provide
  resolution in the amount of sync points

(if this feature also ends up in luatex, then it will be full resolution
if only because all dimensions accessible at the lua end are in scaled
points)