[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

LAURENS Jérôme jlaurens at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 11 19:15:54 CET 2008

Le 11 févr. 08 à 11:23, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> the policy for pdftex is not to introduce new primitives unless
> preceded by \pdf ... (not that i care that much because macro
> packages can deal with it but for latex it was considered a problem
> as there are many packages out there we don't know of), so such is
> life ...
>
> anyhow, even if we use a non prefixed primitive, i'd like a more
> verbose one
>
> \synchronizeoutputstate

this one seems ambiguous

> or, actually, it belongs to the trace family
>
> \traceoutputpositions
>
> or so; since we're talking tex here, the tex in \synctex is somewhat
> strange; of course you can call your mechanism as such, but that;s a
> different matter

Couldn't we adopt an intermediate position?

\tracesynctexpositions

where you consider synctex as a whole word, just like mutex, cortex,
vortex, vertex and of course latex
In fact, due to performance reasons, only approximate output positions
are traced,
the output position unit is tex sp, but the synctex position unit is
8192 sp.
I would expect a \traceoutputpositions to really report the output
position, not just something approximate.

\tracingsynctex is another choice. More texish, but I would not choose
it.

JL