[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 11 11:23:29 CET 2008

LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
> Le 10 févr. 08 à 20:22, Hans Hagen a écrit :
>
>> LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
>>
>>> I forgot to say that the command line option is now -synctex=1 and
>>> the  primitive is \synctex
>> the primitive probably will be changes into something
>> \pdfsynchronize=<number>
>
> I don't think this is a good idea because synctex does not use any pdf
> related feature, unlike former pdfsync.
> It would be misleading to include "pdf" in the name.
> Moreover, one can see in synctex a common technology shared by all
> tex.web based engines, including xetex.
>
> I agree that a name like \pdfsynchronize is more user friendly, but
> the advantage of synctex is that it can also be used in the CLI...
> as I said the string "synctex" is also some kind of keyword.

the policy for pdftex is not to introduce new primitives unless preceded
by \pdf ... (not that i care that much because macro packages can deal
with it but for latex it was considered a problem as there are many
packages out there we don't know of), so such is life ...

anyhow, even if we use a non prefixed primitive, i'd like a more verbose one

\synchronizeoutputstate

or, actually, it belongs to the trace family

\traceoutputpositions

or so; since we're talking tex here, the tex in \synctex is somewhat
strange; of course you can call your mechanism as such, but that;s a
different matter