[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Feb 8 13:52:23 CET 2008

LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know the opinion of the developer team about
> synchronization and the patch I sent.

I looked at Synchronize4.zip a while back and liked the general idea
well enough, but somehow never got around to writing up my feelings.

Here are a few remarks and questions:

* how does this patch relate to the --src-specials switch from web2c,
   and what editor/previewer combinations understand your files format?
   (and/or are likely to start doing that in the future)

* I consider the |if s>3| test in get_node() pretty bad style. There
   may very well be a conflicting extension in the future, and then it
   may turn out that your code suddenly needs rewriting. It is better
   to adjust the node-specific functions like new_null_box() etc.

   This will result in more lines of web changes, but it will be easier
   to maintain the code by someone that is not you.

* the web glue code in synchronize.c is not very pretty, but I doubt
   there is a nice solution to that, so just let it be.

* you should use actual C comments, though. Not the C++ // things.
   (Martin may have something more to say about C indentation style)

* you licensed the C file as GPL2, yes?

* the attachments seem missing in sarovar.org at the moment

Best wishes,
Taco