[NTG-pdftex] Can PdfTeX vary font weight ?

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Dec 17 18:40:31 CET 2008

Just to clarify :

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

 > No, Phil is lazy and is working in Plain TeX, in which
 > the use of anything other than the CM family is more
 > complex.  But PdfTeX does not use PK fonts, does it ?

There are really a number of points here.  Probably
I should start by saying that having spent the last
$n$ years as College Webmaster, my TeX skills are not
what they once were; in addition, my previous work
with Plain TeX was based around the Arbortext driver
and fonts (with their special remapped TFMs, such as
PSMTIMR), so I never learned how to use other type-1 fonts
that do not come with remapped TFMs (or if I did once
learn, I have forgotten again) [1].  Secondly, Reinhard
raises a very important point : pre-type-1, one always
used a mode-def appropriate to the particular printer;
but now that we live in a PdfTeX world, with type-1
fonts the norm, there is no longer this facility, so
Hans's recipe for darkening a font through a PDF special
is really really useful and worth making more widely known.
It would also be very helpful if Hans could document
the operators that it uses, as I am afraid they are
all Mayan to me :-(

** Phil.
--------
[1] And the TeX FAQ