[NTG-pdftex] Can PdfTeX vary font weight ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Dec 16 18:47:57 CET 2008

Typesetting the 2008 Christmas Letter (in Computer Modern
Roman 10pt scaled \magstep 1}, I was dismayed to find
that both on-screen and on paper the font is depressingly
light; on a bran(d) new HP CP1215 colour laserprinter,
the top of the lower-case "s" definitely breaks up.
I assume that  this arises from the Bluesky type-1
outlines that PdfTeX presumably uses, but I wondered if
there is any way for PdfTeX to artificially increase
the weight (well, really the stroke width, but I know
that's asking too much !).

** Phil.