[NTG-pdftex] Extensions to \font syntax ?

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Dec 7 11:39:09 CET 2008

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> As for the original problem, I expect Thanh would use a Vietnamese
> font to typeset Vietnamese names.

Yes, I accept that that is the proper way; but as
this letter was not only in Vietnamese but also in
Polish (possibly in some other languages as well,
quite apart from English) I thought it simpler to
stick to basic CM and to kludge my way around the
diacritics ...

> The "" marks are the key. ;-)

OK, fair enough :-)

> Side note: in luatex you can already do things like this by creating
> a virtual font or even a single virtual character on the fly, using
> a lua table to define the virtual commands.

Ah, promising : is LT scheduled for inclusion in TL2009 ?

** Phil.