[NTG-pdftex] Extensions to \font syntax ?

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Dec 7 11:26:27 CET 2008

Dear Reinhard / Thanh -- Many thanks for your comments.
I'm sorry that "adding new features to pdftex is not
desired now", but I guess if it's good enough for
Don, then it's good enough for Thanh :-)  As to
Reinhard's closing observation :

>> And changing the matrix isn't sufficient.  You'll certainly have to
>> adapt the .tfm files.

I can't see why this is the case : once PdfTeX has read
the TFM file, is it not sufficient "simply" to manipulate
its internal version thereof, rather than the TFM file
itself ?  After all, once it has produced the Pdf file
there is no longer any need for access to the TFM, so
what does one gain by modifying it ?

** Phil
--------
P.S. I've kludged my way around it for now, but
it's not pretty; see "Hu'o'ng" in the last line
of the attached.