[NTG-pdftex] Extensions to \font syntax ?

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Dec 6 17:20:21 CET 2008

Dear Thanh / PdfTeX team --

Has any consideration ever been given to the idea
of extending the syntax of TeX's \font command
within the context (small "c") of PdfTeX ?

What I have in mind are the following :

	\font \cmex = cmex10 rotated <angle>
	\font \cmex = cmex10 translated <matrix>

I ask because I am currently typesetting a letter
requiring characters from a number of different
languages, and I can successfully synthesise 99%
of the characters I need from the basic CM family.
However, I am stuck at o-horn and u-horn (Vietnamese).
I can get reasonably close by scaling and positioning
"3B or "7D from CMEX<whatever>, but I would like to get
even closer, and being able to rotate the font (and
perhaps transform it) would take me from "reasonably
close"  to "d at mn nigh perfect" :-)

** Phil.