[NTG-pdftex] Question related to .ttc support

hzluo memcache at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 03:22:34 CEST 2008

Friends,
    I forgot to mention some properties related to .ttc files.
For many .ttc files of CJK, all fonts in one .ttc file have
identical CJK glyphs. Only the latin glyphs are different.
But for latex systems, we use these fonts to typeset
CJK glyphs only. We have much better latin fonts
to typeset latin glyphs. As a result, supporting the
first font in .ttc file is good enough for most such
applications.
    In addition, Windows does not support symbolic linking.
Only latest Windows versions support hardlink via junction,
but it can't work on early versions.
    Certainly, supporting only the first font of .ttc file
is not equal to supporting .ttc file. Better way is to
add parameters to select fonts in .ttc file. But it needs
significant work. I do not know how to achieve this.
So, I think we can apply this patch, and claim in manual
that we support "the first font of .ttc file". Maybe someone
will work on a patch for full .ttc support later on, if s/he
is troubled by the problem. (If no one is troubled,
then no need to patch it, right?
- that's one of the spirit of opensource :)

    The aboves are only my two cents.

Regards,
Hangzai