[NTG-pdftex] Question related to .ttc support

hzluo memcache at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:07:37 CEST 2008

Friends,
    I recently tested pdflatex with a Chinese font simsun.ttc,
pdflatex report the following error:

!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file simsun.ttc): cannot open Type 1 font file for
reading

I checked the source code of pdflatex, found that pdflatex
only takes .ttf files as the truetype fonts, there is no test
for .ttc suffix. So, simsun.ttc is assumed to be a Type 1 font.
Apparently it is wrong.

Is there any special reason to give up the .ttc support
in pdflatex? I found that dvipdfmx supports simsun.ttc smoothly,
so pdflatex should also do that, and it is quite simple.
I have attached a tiny patch to fix this. Could anyone confirm it?

Regards,
Hangzai