[NTG-pdftex] gcc 4.1.2 at ubuntu breaks pdftex

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:11:02 CEST 2007

On 10/6/07, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Martin Schröder wrote:
> >
> > ... or gcc is simply broken. I
> > suspect the later: -O shouldn't break the code.
>
> I agree with that. But you probably have to find a workaround anyway,
> because those gcc's are already out there and for many people,
> upgrading gcc is out of the question :(

You already have a workaround: different compiler flags for one file.

Why not  file a bug report against gcc and wait a while to see if clarity
emerges?  It may be a plain bug in gcc so the code can be left  as is
and the flags changed until most people have the fixed  version, or a
case where the optimizer sometimes makes bad choices and you are
better off changing the code to circumvent the issue.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia