[NTG-pdftex] [tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Mar 30 18:03:32 CEST 2007

Hi Frank,

Frank Küster wrote:

> Yes, and even that is very common - that's what usually is indicated by
> a soname change of a library.  We (Debian/Ubuntu) have made the switch
> to poppler very early in its development, and this means that we're
> likely to face a couple of soname changes.  Maybe later the API will
> become more stable.

As far as I know, it is not at all common that a program that uses a
certain library in the repository is then redistributed using a
different library altogether, with one version of that library
available in one distro and another, incompatible version on another
distibution. The connection with the main source is almost gone. And
that is what has me worried.

If everybody links with poppler, poppler should be in the repository,
not xpdf.

Regards, Taco