[NTG-pdftex] [tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Mar 30 16:09:31 CEST 2007

Hi,

 From a discussion on TeX-Live with regard to the debian texlive packages
for texlive and the complications raised by libpoppler:

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> [What I describe below is not a Debian problem, but the proposed
> change would make the packages easier for Ubuntu users to use.
>
> I added dev-context to the CC: list since the pkg deps affect Ubuntu
> users -- e.g. me -- who use your excellent ConTeXt packages.]
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy) with all your tug.org stanzas.  An
> "apt-get install texlive-base-bin" or "apt-get install context" fails
> when going from the TL2005 packages to the 2007 ones.  The blocking
> package is texlive-base-bin:
>
> # apt-get install texlive-base-bin
> texlive-base-bin:
> Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but 1.2.8rel-5.1ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
> Depends: libpoppler0c2 (>= 0.4.2) but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
>
> I'll upgrade to the Ubuntu 7.04 beta, which will solve the libpng12-0
> problem because Ubuntu 7.04 uses libpng 1.2.15.  But libpoppler0c2
> would still be missing.  Here are the libpoppler pkgs in versions of

If I understand that thread correctly, the use of poppler instead
of xpdf is now really a requirement on both debian and ubuntu?

And you cannot share the binary packages between the various linuxes
because there are packaging differences that cannot be resolved,
at all?

And that there are different versions of (dynamic) libpoppler that
are mutually exclusive, even at compile-time?

But at the same time, static binaries with xpdf linked in are not
usable or 'not done' for some reason?

If this is a sign of things to come, I may have to reconsider
switching to MacOSX or freebsd.

Taco