[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jun 29 09:15:08 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> Frank Küster wrote:

>>> again, we're talking of pdf data ending up in formats as a result of a
>>> ref to an xform, not about macro packages; instead of embedding the
>>> graphic one could use a reference to an external file (using an media
>>> related annotation) but that's something at the macro level and not
>>> pdftex internals
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand you.  Do you mean that macro packages should
>> use a different way of embedding graphics than they do now?  If I
>> understand you right, this would require that every existing macro
>> package for graphics inclusion should be changed, because otherwise it
>> couldn't be used together with preview-latex or whizzytex.
>
> when used with some tool, macro packages may as well know that
> they're doing that; in that case one can add an extra directive in
> the preamble

Hans, no, they may not possibly know that: dumping a format as part of
a tool like preview-latex or WhizzyTeX or mylatex.ltx _very_ much is
_not_ known to macro packages: those tools would be pretty pointless
if they only worked with macro packages that knew about them.

> images are just part of such a story, think of multi pass data
> needed for initialization, immediate written objects, or opened
> files (where some kind of appending need to take place when the
> snapshot format is used, etc; if i had to deal with that in context,
> i'd make sure that i'd removed all things that can possibly
> interfere and use a special preview mode (if only not to have users
> confronted with messy docs that use multipass info for optimization)

Take a look at mylatex.ltx.  It does exactly that and works with the
overwhelming majority of LaTeX documents out of the box.

--
David Kastrup