[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 29 08:50:13 CEST 2007

Frank Küster wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>>> I find it annoying how legitimate concerns and existing _standard_ use
>>> cases and packages are simply brushed aside or ignored.  While there
>>> may be priorities that make it necessary to postpone a proper
>>> implementation, it is not because people putting forward their
>>> concerns and presenting their use cases are idiots or weirdos that can
>>> safely be ignored.
>> again, we're talking of pdf data ending up in formats as a result of a
>> ref to an xform, not about macro packages; instead of embedding the
>> graphic one could use a reference to an external file (using an media
>> related annotation) but that's something at the macro level and not
>> pdftex internals
>
> I'm not sure I understand you.  Do you mean that macro packages should
> use a different way of embedding graphics than they do now?  If I
> understand you right, this would require that every existing macro
> package for graphics inclusion should be changed, because otherwise it
> couldn't be used together with preview-latex or whizzytex.

when used with some tool, macro packages may as well know that they're
doing that; in that case one can add an extra directive in the preamble

images are just part of such a story, think of multi pass data needed
for initialization, immediate written objects, or opened files (where
some kind of appending need to take place when the snapshot format is
used, etc; if i had to deal with that in context, i'd make sure that i'd
removed all things that can possibly interfere and use a special preview
mode (if only not to have users confronted with messy docs that use
multipass info for optimization)