[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 28 13:08:26 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Nor will it be in any output generated by iniTeX.  Do you think we
>> should turn off PDF/DVI generation completely in iniTeX?  Prohibit
>> people from generating visible output with it?  If not, then it is
>> hard to explain why images should be treated differently from other
>> material.
>
> again, i'm not talking of initex, but about what can end up in a
> FORMAT FILE and pdfimage data is not something to put in the format;
> initex can of course include images in a produced pdf file; i never
> denied that neiter did i say that initex shoul dnot produce dvi/pdf
> output

Cleaning the mem array of all references/nodes referring to images
before dumping or when restoring sounds actually harder to do than
dumping and restoring the relevant image arrays.

The former requires walking all the structures.  The latter concerns
just PDF's additional arrays.

Please note that so far the implementation proposals have been about
disabling the image operators altogether in iniTeX (reasonably simple
to implement), _not_ about removing image references when dumping
and/or restoring.

> again, we're talking of pdf data ending up in formats as a result of
> a ref to an xform, not about macro packages; instead of embedding
> the graphic one could use a reference to an external file (using an
> media related annotation) but that's something at the macro level
> and not pdftex internals

How you suppose that some macros can magically make the distinction
between an iniTeX run for the sake of typesetting or an iniTeX run for
the sake of dumping, I have no idea.

--
David Kastrup