[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 28 12:24:58 CEST 2007

Frank Küster wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Thanh Han The wrote:
>>> dumping an image in pdf mode is rather difficult to get
>>> right. If in dvi mode an image is "stored" by a reference to
>>> an external file, then I am afraid the speed gain is not
>>> that much. There is for sure some comfort by having a dumped
>>> file reference in the format, but again that can be also
>>> achieved for pdf mode using some macros IMHO.
>> to me it looks like a rather useless option to include an image in a
>> format, just as we don't embed type 1 fonts in the format either so
>> let's not waste energy on it
>
> You know that you just said "To me it looks like a rather useless option
> to include an image in a \savebox in the LaTeX preamble", or "To me it
> looks like a rather useless option to support preview-latex in PDF mode
> even for people who use \savebox with images in their preamble"?

no, i was talking about a 'format' i.e. a \dump'd thing, i have no clue
what \savebox does, and it may do image trickery as much as it likes but
in the end the image will not be in the format file

>> also, those who generate a format should know what they're doing/dealing
>> with
>
> David knows, but preview-latex just takes the LaTeX preamble which its
> users have written.

afaik the problem only occurs when a \dump is done and an option is then
  to \let\dump\end or so

anyhow, it's a dump related problem, not a macro package related one