[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:15:09 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:13:36PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thanh Han The wrote:
> >dumping an image in pdf mode is rather difficult to get
> >right. If in dvi mode an image is "stored" by a reference to
> >an external file, then I am afraid the speed gain is not
> >that much. There is for sure some comfort by having a dumped
> >file reference in the format, but again that can be also
> >achieved for pdf mode using some macros IMHO.
>
> to me it looks like a rather useless option to include an image in a
> format, just as we don't embed type 1 fonts in the format either so
> let's not waste energy on it
>
> >My vote is also to disable \pdfrefximage and the likes in
> >init mode.
>
> depends a bit what 'the likes' is, i can imagine that one wants to
> measure the dimensions of a graphic or so and store them, but indeed
> the ref to an imag ecan be disabled

I had that in mind too, that's way I voted to disable
\pdfrefximage instead of \pdfximage. The likes here are
\pdfrefobj, \pdfrefxform and perhaps those that can cause
pdftex to write anything to the output.

fwiw, pdftex has support for reading image dimension that
can be used in dvi mode (added as requested by ChoF, who
uses pdftex mainly in dvi mode and use dvipdfmx to create
pdf).

> also, those who generate a format should know what they're doing/dealing
> with

indeed

Thanh