[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jun 27 19:13:36 CEST 2007

Thanh Han The wrote:
> dumping an image in pdf mode is rather difficult to get
> right. If in dvi mode an image is "stored" by a reference to
> an external file, then I am afraid the speed gain is not
> that much. There is for sure some comfort by having a dumped
> file reference in the format, but again that can be also
> achieved for pdf mode using some macros IMHO.

to me it looks like a rather useless option to include an image in a
format, just as we don't embed type 1 fonts in the format either so
let's not waste energy on it

> My vote is also to disable \pdfrefximage and the likes in
> init mode.

depends a bit what 'the likes' is, i can imagine that one wants to
measure the dimensions of a graphic or so and store them, but indeed
the ref to an imag ecan be disabled

also, those who generate a format should know what they're doing/dealing
with