[NTG-pdftex] images in formats

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Jun 27 13:52:04 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> noreply at sarovar.org wrote:
>> Bugs item #824, was opened at 2007-06-26 00:22
>> You can respond by visiting:
>> http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=824&group_id=106
>
> etc. etc.
>
> A very quick, fast, and non-crashing solution is to disable setting
> \pdfoutput to non-zero in initex mode :-)
>
> I do not think it is feasible to support the actual inclusion of
> image files into the format, but I dont believe that is really
> needed: the crash is a result of the fact that the image_array
> and pdf_mem are not written to the format.
>
> So, that leaves two options: bluntly disabling \pdfrefximage et.al.
> in ini mode, or adding dump/undump code for those arrays. It would
> not be a very invasive patch, and that has my preference.
>
> What do you think?

Well, LaTeX has a command \AtBeginDVI which has the principal purpose
of saving PostScript header specials (and similar stuff) across a
format dump, as used by mylatex.ltx (for example).

web2c also has a trend of allowing initex for everything and making it
closer to virtex (the main motivation for the latter's existence,
squeezing a few dozen kilobytes of code, is no longer present).

The ability to transparently dump a snapshot of TeX's state (modulo
open files, but including already typeset boxes) is something which we
should not lightly give up or make less functional.

So it is is feasible, my vote would be on dumping the required arrays.

--
David Kastrup