[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-824 ] Bus error caused by loading an image into a format file

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Tue Jun 26 00:42:29 CEST 2007

Bugs item #824, was opened at 2007-06-25 23:22
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=824&group_id=106

Category: Image inclusion
Group: v1.40.3

Initial Comment:
I have written a tool that speeds up repeated
compilation of a source file, by generating a format
from the preamble of the document, and then using it to
compile the body.

One user reported a crash when using this tool with a
custom letterhead class; the class in question may be
found at
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~elm/LaTeX/ucletter.cls (though
note that a simpler demonstration is attached to this
report).

The bug is triggered by the fact that this class loads
an image during the processing of the preamble (i.e.
during the processing of the .ini file) and saves it in
a box. When this box is used, during the compilation of
the body, pdftex crashes.

This does work with ordinary (non-PDF) TeX, so the
problem is specific to PDFTeX.

The attachment contains a simple demonstration of the
problem. Unpack it and run 'make'.