[NTG-pdftex] 1.40.4 incoming

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:07:19 CEST 2007

On 7/7/07, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

small problem with SGI compilers, and I still don't understand finding
strsep -- see below

As for the prompt question -- a generic prompt as suggest by Philip Taylor is
much better than something system-dependent.  The same problem should
lead to the same google search on all platforms so we don't end up with 2
FAQ entries for the same underlying problem.

> 2007/7/7, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:
> > I (slightly) abused your build.sh configuration by compiling with -std=c99 on
> > Fedora Release 7 (i686, gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070502 (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)) and
> > using system libraries (fewer chances for the compile to fail and less time to
> > compile):
>
> Not that it should make a difference, but does the standard build.sh work?
>
> I have no problems with OpenSUSE 10.1 (gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux))
> and 10.2 (gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) and
> -std=c99 -Wall.

debian stable with "-std=c99 -march=i686 -Wall" gives the same error
as Fedora.
Either "-std=g99 .." or "-std=c99 -D_BSD_SOURCE" works.  Following the
definition of strsep thru the header files and glibc sources is like those games
where you get lost in a maze of twisty-turny passages.  Google found some cases
where people gave up trying to get configure to find strsep reliably
and just coded
around it.

Meanwhile, SGI Irix 6.5 complains about:

cc-1282 CC: ERROR File = ../../../../src/libs/xpdf/goo/GString.cc, Line = 531
  More than one instance of overloaded function "pow" matches the argument list.

            Function symbol function "std::pow(long double, int)" is ambiguous
                      by inheritance.
            Function symbol function "std::pow(double, int)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            Function symbol function "std::pow(float, int)" is ambiguous by
                      inheritance.
            The argument types are:  (int, int).
    x = floor(x * pow(10, prec) + 0.5);
                  ^

1 error detected in the compilation of
"../../../../src/libs/xpdf/goo/GString.cc".
gmake[1]: *** [GString.o] Error 2

I changed this to an explicit cast to double.  The result seems to work
(builds formats, processes story.tex and sample2e.tex).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia