[NTG-pdftex] 1.40.4 incoming

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jul 10 18:24:26 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 08:42:57AM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> >> In this case, we may not be able to use the common
> >> pool files.
> >
> > A dummy string might be inserted so that the pool file
> > contains both string variants.
>
> I vote for Phil's approach. I suspect most of the people that do
> not know how to generate an EOF in the console will not understand
> the key press reference either.

Yes, there are people who don't understand "CTRL" or "Enter",
but I wouldn't want to recommend TeX for them.

> Besides, tricks like dummy strings tend to lead to bugs in the years
> to come. (said as the person who just spend a whole day figuring out
> that the weird "file_name_size=maxint" statement in tex.ch is part
> of a trick to simplify openclose.c as it forces the "namelength" var
> to be of the correct allocation size).

The solution is simple, just make the string more informative.
Example:
  Leave the file name empty to re-try,
  or enter <eof> (Unix: CTRL-D, Windows: CTRL-Z + Enter) to exit.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>