[NTG-pdftex] 1.40.4 incoming

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jul 9 14:24:51 CEST 2007

"Martin Schröder" <martin at oneiros.de> writes:

> 2007/7/9, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org>:
>> "Martin Schröder" <martin at oneiros.de> writes:
>> > We don't trace Aleph & Omega in the pdftex-svn,
>>
>> Does anybody actually trace them?  Would the following appear
>> accurate?
>>
>> a) Aleph can be considered abandoned as long as nobody hears of
>>    Giuseppe.  Is there a publicly accessible SCM, or is the last
>>    tarball all that is there?
>
> Not that I know of. Giuseppe is probably using luaTeX. :-)

Not sure about that.  I seem to remember that Giuseppe was not
actually using Aleph, either.  He just provided it.  I might be
mistaken about that, however.

>> b) Omega, at the very least in versions likely to appear in TeXlive,
>>    is not maintained anymore either.  There is presumably upstream
>>    development in Brest, but "upstream" might be somewhat of a
>>    misnomer as the pipes appear clogged, and Omega2-to-be would not
>>    appear to be in a state fit for general consumption.
>
> Yes. No bugfixes (these were in aleph and are now probably in
> luaTeX), and Yannis is using luaTeX.

Hm.  What will happen with Gábor Bella's work then?

> Omega2 will run on Hurd. :-)

<URL:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install>

I doubt that Omega2 is in the package list yet.

>> Since in both cases the upstream connection appears to have dried
>> up, it would seem reasonable to apply "obvious fixes" to TeXlive?
>
> Yes. Do you want to maintain them?

I am afraid that I already do a bad enough job maintaining my existing
projects.

--
David Kastrup